Friday, August 17, 2012

Margherita Pizza

Joel recently got into a pizza called Margherita pizza. Since discovering it, I took it upon myself to try and create it homemade. He likes it with fresh tomatoes, I like it with cooked. So feel free to use either, but I cooked my tomatoes in a sauce to give them extra flavor! Inspiration for my dough came straight from eat yourself skinny, love Kelly! Her foods are always inspiring, and healthy!

dough 
1/2 tsp active dry yeast 
2 cups all-purpose flour 
1/2 tsp salt 
3 tblspn olive oil 
3/4 cup warm water 

sauce
1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes 
1/4 cup vodka 
1/4 cup heavy cream 
salt and pepper

toppings
round mozzarella cheese (cut into sliced, then halved) 
fresh cut basil
sea salt
pepper 
balsamic vinegar 

how to make dough 
warm your water and sprinkle yeast in
in a separate bowl, mix your flour and salt. 
add your olive oil to the flour and mix until completely combined
pour the flour mixture into the yeast mix, and form dough into a ball
coat a different bowl with a little olive oil and place your dough in the bowl
set in refrigerator, covered, for at least 24 hours 

how to make sauce
pour tomatoes with half of the juice into a medium sauce pan
add your vodka and heavy cream
continue stirring every few minutes, and let your liquid come to a simmer
let liquid and tomatoes cook together until sauce begins to thicken and turn dark orange
let cook on medium-low for 4 minutes then drain juices off tomatoes

create your pizza 
coat a clean surface with flour
toss your dough ball on and start rolling the dough into a rectangle
dough should be fairly thin, brush on your olive oil 
spread your tomatoes onto dough evenly as desired leaving 1 inch for the crust 
add your cheese halves on top evenly over pizza 
preheat your oven to 500 degrees 
cook pizza on middle rack on a greased cookie sheet for 8-10 minutes 
remove pizza from oven and add your toppings, drizzle balsamic vinegar if desired 
let pizza cool before serving! 
Photobucket

1 comment :

  1. This is my favourite pizza! I love to make it at home.
    By the way, I'm so happy that I found your blog, you're a great photographer and blogger. Newest follower here!

    Click here to visit my blog and participate in my giveaway - you can get a bracelet from Gogo Philip's newest collection!

    ReplyDelete