Tuesday, February 26, 2013

HOW I GOT STARTED

I've been a baker for as long as I can remember. I've always been the girl passing out gum and baking cookies. Back in 2008, I started a blog mostly about my life as a baker. When I got a little older, I really wanted to expand beyond just baking. I wanted to learn how to cook. Having no one to cook for at the time, I felt lost and completely unmotivated to learn. At times I wondered if I would ever learn to cook or if I would just become an excellent baker. My time finally came when I got married. Being a wife, I embraced the role of cooking for my husband and taking care of the home. I gave myself no choice not to cook, so I had to teach myself or starve. I didn't want my husband to have to do all of the cooking. At first our meals consisted of frozen foods from Trader Joe's, and a bunch of chicken meals. After getting tired of eating the same meals, I wanted to take a plunge into healthier eating. Healthier eating to me consisted of fresh homemade foods and lots of vegetables. We traded up to organic chicken and milk, and started buying fresher ingredients. Right around that time, I discovered Pinterest. This. site. changed. my life. I finally had an entire site dedicated to inspiration. I took this opportunity to make a food board of recipes that I wanted to try. I made it a point not to Pin anything that I didn't plan to make. There began recipe number one. To be honest, I don't remember what it was, but I know it was good. I know it was good, because I started getting feedback. Not only did I love it, but my husband and my family did too. They weren't lying, I promise. They weren't lying because they knew if they did, the recipe would be recorded in my cookbook, and likely show up again. After trying a few recipes exactly the way they were written and getting great results, I started feeling more comfortable in the kitchen and began stretching my limits. The more I learned, the more I attempted with food. Things like cinnamon rolls that once appeared to be impossible to make, were now in my oven! Don't get me wrong, cinnamon rolls have their challenges, but I felt so accomplished just attempting them. Not all recipes work out the first time, so some recipes I have to try more than once, or if I'm getting really frustrated, trash altogether. It's all part of the learning process. Being a blogger, I saw a great opportunity to record my recipes as I tried them. Recording the recipes gave me even more motivation in the kitchen to make something that tasted great and looked great too. Presentation is an important part of cooking. As I continue to create different foods and blog about them, I have learned the different techniques of food photography and started understanding the importance of food styling, but I have only just begun in the adventure of learning how to style food. As of lately, more and more of my friends have started commenting about the food related posts on my blog. The same topic always comes up in conversation, "the recipes look so good, if only I had the time to make stuff like that." Taking the time to try new recipes IS time-consuming. I have been fortunate enough to have jobs that allow me to have the time to dedicate to my cooking. Not only is cooking a therapy for me, it's something I love to study and learn. One way I balance food blogging into a busy life is by only blogging what we are eating. If I'm not cooking it for my family, I don't blog it. In other words, I don't make meals so that I can blog them. If you would like to see how I plan my meals, check back tomorrow for a complete run down of how I organize meals. 

3 comments :

  1. thank you for this post! i'm a terribleee cook (E is so much better) but have always loved baking. i'm hoping this summer i can really start to learn and be more adventurous. this gives me hope!

    you always make such delicious, beautiful recipes :) i agree, i think cooking is really important--might be time consuming but it's worth it. my best memories are of homemade dinners with the family, it's a nice way to get together.

    grace & love,
    kristyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun stuff :) thanks for sharing your story! Still trying to decide what I want my blog to focus on :)

    ReplyDelete